Do you ever get lost in your way to becoming a good photographer?
Do you feel like nothing is working and you’re close to quitting all together?
Me too. And that’s totally fine.
In this post, I’m gonna talk about how you can overcome some of the obligatory obstacles that you come across when starting out as a photographer.
As we may all be aware of, we are humans.
This is fortunate as humans are alike in some ways that will help us understand each other and relate to some thoughts that we all have or had at some point, especially when it comes to progress and in the same instance; failure.
In order to avoid these thoughts, we must first know what they are and why we should avoid them. Let’s get started.
- Look at all those amazing photographers, I will never become anything like them!This is exactly what every amazing photographer thought at one point. Can you imagine what would have happened to them if they had listened to this thought? They would have been stuck.
What you need to think of instead is:
“These photographers inspire me so much that I will strive towards becoming as great as them!”
- I don’t have the money to get all that fancy camera equipmentYes. This might be true, as it was with me when I started. But the secret is that you don’t need money to take amazing photos, you just need to either be creative or let other creative people help you. There are tons and tons of DIY tutorials that will teach you how to make your own beauty dishes, sliders, studios, lighting, sometimes almost for free.
When I first started, I made a diffuser for my second-hand flash by combining a lamp shade, bubble wrap and a burger box from Burger King (sponsor alert!).
…And honestly, it feels pretty bad-ass to have made your own equipment.
- I know that no one likes this and it goes against all rules, but it is how I want the picture to be so it is perfect!
This is a tough one as there are degrees to it. After years and years of practice, you might be able to reach a point where you have developed a taste that surpasses the general population and even bends the rules.
….But if you’ve just started shooting and you think color splash/selective color is amazing on this wedding photo, then it is time to be critical towards yourself.
As an example, I love Macaroni and Cheese with chocolate sauce. That doesn’t mean that I think it is “good quality food”, and I wouldn’t serve it on a restaurant.
Never let your pride interfere with your progress. If everyone keeps telling you the same thing, maybe there is something about it.
- It’s an okay picture, I guess this part is kinda off but hey, it’s overall nice!Nope. Just nope. That’s like making a cake where the eggs are bit rotten, but it’s overall a nice cake! It will not taste well, and it will not be something that people will remember and come back to. If you’re tired, take a break. Return to it in an hour or a day and see if you can fix it. If you can’t, ask someone who knows how to fix it and spend some time learning it as well.
The more time you spend on it now, the faster it will be next time.
Remember, beauty is in the details.
- I’m not making any profit and I am still no where near the photographers I admire. Should I quit?Yes. Yes you should quit.I’m just kidding, of course not. As Aaron Nace from Phlearn once told me; “Photography is not a destination, it is a journey. If you do not appreciate the journey, you will become lost”I’ve thought about this many times. If there is one thing all humans know, it is the feeling of treading water, barely surfacing for air but keeping on swimming in an unknown direction hoping for land.
Instead, enjoy the water. Swim on your back and look at the beautiful sky and the fish you meet along the way. I know this analogy has gone astray, but the point is to enjoy the journey as much as the craft itself. You will face rejections, hopelessness, demotivation and lacking creativity….And this is totally fine. It’s part of the journey, and one day you will be forever grateful that you continued and found land.
If you enjoyed this post, do let me know in the comments below. DONT FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE or you will not get notified when I reply